Wednesday, October 20, 2010

spanish gathering of sorts (party?)

   Alright so now I've been in Spain almost two months, but still no word on it yet, eh. I bet I've got the whole world wondering, "Where has Jereme been? What is he doing these days in Spain? Is he too busy partying 24/7? Is he liking school? Has life been hard for him at all? Does he miss home, family and friends like crazy? Are his roommates cool and is learning a lot of spanish? Well, I can say that for all those questions, even if you only asked like 2 or 3 of them, the answer is 'yes'. Yea these last two months have been a roller coaster, and it still continues but we can leave that for another time. What's happening now is I've got a piso with a frenchie and two spaniards, all guys, and it's a pretty central location. we eat good dinners every night at home and cook together.
   One night a week or two ago we had a party, but the idea was a little different: instead of everyone getting wasted then passing out or going home, it was everyone sitting and talking, getting ready to go out and party at 3 in the morning to the clubs, where, then the party would commence, and end at 6 or 7 am...except for the french, they were still getting wasted by 1 am, and unable to talk by 2, and spilling their drinks everywhere, by 2:03. Anyways at this party I made the decision to not drink, mostly for previously-noted roller coaster reasons, so while I sipped my lemonade amongst the other guests, I had some fun talking about language, in particular with some british girls from essex (but not essex girls because that has a different connotation). I tried hard to do my imitation of british accent, which I'd say is a mix between Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais, and then the girls gave me some tips. Things in the UK aren't really good and super good, they are well good and proper good. I can't think of many other words but we really just imitated each other the whole night...it was cheeky. Other Language things of interest are two really spanish ways to start a sentence. the first is "Es que" which translates to something like "It's (just) that" or "well" and the other is "Lo que pasa es que" which is "the thing is". Both of these are proper useful and are actually well interchangeable, as you can see by the english translation. So now most of my sentences in spanish begin with these, and I'm beginning to talk like a spaniard.
   But of course, you also need the andaluz accent and even some granadino to sound like a local. I'll try not to nerd out too much but here is an example of what they say, written phonetically: onde lah puehto, y pa donde vaih tos? is dónde la has puesto y para dónde vais todos? its an extreme, but you hear every once and while and it can throw you for quite a loop. The south of spain speaks different just like the south of the US. One last thought before you check out these awesome pictures of me on a bike ride with Lalo (I took the picture), is this:

through thought though tough thou

enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment