Wednesday, August 4, 2010

that nurse was knuckle deep in my elbow

So an interesting tidbit on the first entry "das Krankenhaus" - it literally translates to sick house, but as a joke, I thought it sounded like Crunk House. Well the germans also use the word just like we do in "gettin' 'crunk' in the club" saying things like "Ich bin krank" meaning "I'm wasted"...cheers.
Long blog entries can be annoying, so I've disguised this into two...or more. 


"David we should go home and clean this, maybe even go to the hospital," I say. we went home, the 'maybe even' was quickly replaced by 'definitely.' Ok I've given up on PG and made this optionally PG-13. Here's a link to the doctor doing some uncomfortable minor surgery. She prickst me a few times and then cleaned it, showing my sister that it was like a stalking stuffed for chrismas, and stuck her finger in it, all the way back to my elbow bone. 
   I had to stay two nights because german healthcare actually minds the "care". It was a drag at the time, I thought, "wheres my band aid and bottle of antibiotics?" nope instead I sit in a hospital bed and every eight hours I get intravenous antibiotics. (its easy to remember when too: 0:00, 8:00 and 16:00).  lame.
   Well so the final morning I wake up and I'm ready to get out, but then they check my elbow. "Ya Okey, dis needs to haf surgery wery badly, it iss infected," the head surgeon says in pretty good english. "then you stay sree (3) more days. You must mek ze choice because you are 20." OK I say...I wanted to be out but he insisted. I was pretty scared, after crying with my mom I get into some sweet surgery attire, complete with netted underwear, a gown, and socks that have holes at the toes..
   So I get full anesthesia they recut my elbow bigger and find dirt still in there all the way back. They put an antibiotic chain in there, and sew it back up 8 stitches I think with the chain sticking out so they can remove it. Then I get to stay 3 more days.
   Afterwards they put me on some strong German IV's that really helped the healing and helped me relax. (below)
   There were some good moments with the nurses of sheer language barrier between us, and one of those was the nurse trying to mime the question of whether I had taken a "groß" meaning poop, but literally "a big one"...but I was able to mumble a few things that would always lead to results. I'd ring the nurse button, she'd come in and say something along the lines of everything ok? "Eine Kaffee bitte" and a coffee would be on my tray minutes later. Or simply "schmerzen" and I'd get some Benadryl tasting pain reliever that I found out was a stronger version ibuprofen.
  So 6 movies, 4 planet earths, 10 podcasts, and a bunch of playlists later I was out of the Helios Hospital Klinik, and the same day (yesterday) we left from Idstein area, to Berlin.

1 comment:

  1. I like how they pulled your wenis out so you can see how big the whole is. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete